Social Media Crisis - Case Study
The employee of a large specialty healthcare provider posted discriminatory statements and veiled threats against a member of a minority group on his personal social media account. Friends of the targeted individual aggressively tagged the company’s social media properties insisting on immediate action against the employee.
Intrepid worked to help legal counsel and executives understand the negative ramifications of merely citing employee privacy policies in lieu of a direct response.
- Collaborated closely with legal counsel and HR
- Developed response strategy, positioning and messaging
- Crafted direct messages to the social media responders regarding the issue
- Prepared executives for phone conversations with those demanding action
- Assisted with online and phone responses
- Prepared the team for traditional media inquiries
- Assisted with establishing employee social media policy
The company directly informed the social media posters of its disdain for the discriminatory statements, the company’s position and the action it was taking, including placing the employee on administrative leave. This helped to diffuse the situation. The company’s swift and direct response resulted in containing the issues, which was never picked up by traditional media.